The Reggio Emilia Approach to learning inspires the Schoolhouse Playcare Centre. We provide a positive learning environment, in a home like atmosphere for all children enrolled in our Program. We enhance children's level of development to help them reach their fullest potential.
Through play experiences, science, art and technology and with the guidance of registered Early Childhood Educators, each child is involved in experiences that will stimulate his/her:
- curiosity, initiative, independence and working together at every level through collaboration among their peers, teachers and parents.
- self-esteem and positive self-image and conceptualizing an image of the child and competent, inventive, and full of ideas.
- to explore a wide variety of materials that are open ended and provide many opportunities for the children to represent their ideas in different media.
- awareness of aesthetics - transforming the environment into beautiful, inviting, light filled, orderly spaces, bringing the outdoors in.
- an opportunity of creating transparency through light that infuses in every space; in mirrors, light tables and glass jars that catch and reflect light around the classrooms, as well as metaphorically in the openness to ideas and theories from other children, educators, parents and visitors.
- investigation using space and materials like art and science together and using materials and equipment in unexpected ways.
- communication skills, as well as language development.
- the 100 languages of children - encouraging children to make symbolic representations of their ideas by providing them with many different media to explore their ideas through, such as visual arts, music, drama, manipulative construction, etc.